Here is a traditional three bean chili recipe:
- 2 pounds lean ground kosher grass fed beef
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ Cup chili powder + 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 can each of pinto, kidney, and black beans (or soak and cook dried beans; 1 can is about 1.5 C cooked beans)
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 Cups water, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon macadamia nut oil or other high heat oil
- Mince and combine onion, pepper and garlic in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large skillet with a cover, add the onion/pepper/garlic mix and cook until translucent. Place mixture back into bowl and set aside.
- Cook the ground beef in the skillet, stirring constantly and breaking into small pieces, until browned.
- Add the onion mix and the rest of the ingredients and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender. Add more water if needed to adjust for desired thickness.
- Taste for salt and spiciness and adjust.