- 1 cÂ certified gluten free oats
- Â¾Â c packed brown sugar
- Â¾ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Â½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Â½ c shortening, such asÂ Spectrum organic shorteningÂ or earth balance vegan buttery sticks. Any butter or margarine will work, but careful if you are trying to keep it parve or avoid trans fats.
- 4 apples
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Peel and core the apples, cut into slices, then cut the slices in half across, and put the pieces in a 9″ square baking pan. While cutting, sprinkle with the lemon juice and toss to mix in so apple doesn’t brown. Also you don’t have to peel the apples if you don’t mind the peels – it’s a lot less work to leave the peels on and it might even be healthier.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the apples and mix it in. Arrange the apple pieces as evenly as you want them to be.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until well blended.
- Add shortening and vanilla, then mix lightly with finger tips until crumbly but not oily. Your goal is a coarse, lumpy mixture, not a ball.
- Crumble the mixture over the top of the apples, keeping it as separated and lumpy as you can. Do not pack it down or flatten it out.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350Â°FÂ for 35 minutes, thenÂ remove cover, increase oven to 400Â°F,Â and bake another 30 minutes to brown the topping. Serve warm, or however you like it.