We enjoyed this on latkes recently. Eve tracked down the recipe from Emily via Andrea.
- Buy some apples. Best to mix two or more kinds, one sweet, one tart.
- Peel them, core them and cut into chunks. Size doesn’t matter much.
- Put in a pot with a little water – like maybe up to 1/2″ at most.
- Boil and boil until the apples get mushy. Check frequently – you only want enough water to get it started, then the apples will release their own water. But check often to make sure it’s not burning.
- Can mash the apples with a potato masher or a fork, then use an immersion blender or a regular blender and make it as smooth as you want. Can leave it chunky if you like. Blending it helps blend the flavors if you used different kinds of apples.
- can add sugar or cinnamon after cooking, during mashing/blending. I usually don’t add either, but if you use very tart apples you might want sugar.