- 4 cups packed fresh basil leaves, well washed
- Â½ cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts or a combination
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves
- Â½Â tsp salt
- Â¼ tsp pepper
- Place everything in the food processor and run for about 5 minutes, or until it’s the consistency you like, scraping down the sides every minute or two.
- This makes about a cup, which is a good amount for 2 packages or 24 oz of pasta.
- Use it right away, or cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze and it keeps quite a while. The plastic wrap should rest directly on the pesto, under the lid of the container, or the top will turn brown. If it turns brown it’s still fine, just not as pretty.
- Use the pesto freshly made or bring to room temperature before using. If you didn’t plan ahead you can warm it gently in microwave but try not to cook it.
- Mix the pesto into freshly cooked, hot pasta or use it on pizza, bread, baked potatoes, etc.