This recipe is adapted from fortunavirilis. Quick (0ther than the cooking time), easy and delicious. Picture courtesy of the original recipe – I’ll take my own photo next time I make this.
- 1 Tbsp oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1″ piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes (or one 14-oz can)
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha or other hot chili sauce
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one can)
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- ½ cup cilantro, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium skillet.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until vegetables begin to get tender (about 8 min).
- Add garlic, ginger, and curry powder, and saute for an additional minute.
- Put mixture in the crock pot (3 ½ quart pot or larger) along with the lentils, tomatoes, water, chili sauce, chickpeas and quinoa.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, and then cook on low for another 4 hours. Stir now and then, and add more water if you want it soupier.
- At the end of the cooking time, stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.