Gluten free or glutenous. Fructose free. Parve.
One third cup with yogurt makes a yummy, nutritious breakfast that doesn’t give us a sugar crash a half hour later. For those of us who can eat fresh fruit, it’s also delicious with berries on top.
- *This is version 5. Updated 12/5/18.
- 4 cups gluten free oats
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 16 oz raw sliced almonds (4-5 cups)
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raw no shell Hazelnuts
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup raw hemp seeds
- ½ cup wheat germ or gluten free oat flour
- 2/3 cup ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- Remember that all ingredients are just suggestions. Substitute anything you are missing or that you have on hand and want to use.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Spray or lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
- Measure the spices (ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon) into a smallish bowl and mix thoroughly, getting rid of any lumps.
- Add the oat flour to the spices and mix to get rid of lumps, then set this bowl aside.
- Put all the rest of the dry ingredients into a big bowl and mix thoroughly. Hands work well, or two wooden spoons.
- Add the spice mixture to the big bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Beat the eggs and egg whites a little with a fork and add to the bowl.
- Mix until well blended, with a big spoon or two, or with your hands. If you mix slowly, the oats will tend to absorb the eggs and that’s a good thing.
- Spread granola evenly on the 2 cookie sheets and pack it down. Place cookie sheets on two racks in preheated oven and switch racks each time you stir the granola.
- Bake at 325ºF for about 1 – 2 hours, checking and stirring after 15 minutes, then every 10 minutes until it turns brown, but don’t let it burn. Break up the lumps as much or as little as you want to. If it still seems a little soft, or you’re not sure whether it’s done or not, then it’s not done yet. Baking time partly depends on exactly which ingredients you use. I think my total cooking is usually in the 1:15 to 1:45 range.
- Let cool overnight before storing in a jar with a good top. Makes 3-4 quarts.
One thought on “Sugar Free Granola”