Gluten free, Parve
We’ve been experimenting with gluten free stuffing recipes for about 7 years, since Celiac diagnoses started coming in. Made a good rice and mushroom stuffing, but it wasn’t the same as memories of Thanksgiving. Tried substituting homemade GF bread in Nana’s recipe but it turned into mush. This year we found success, with the help of Glutino!
Bake this separate from the turkey so it stays parve and the vegetarians can eat it, and to avoid any health risks from stuffing the turkey.
- 6 Cups finely diced celery
- 4 Cups boiling water
- 1 Cup parve margarine (Earth Balance works well)
- 2 packages Glutino Sans Gluten Free Corn Bread Stuffing / Dressing (226g / 7.10 Oz) or 8 C lightly packed day old bread cubed, for the gluten version
- 4 tsps poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 Cup minced onion
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Simmer celery in the 4 Cups of boiling water on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Reserving the water, drain the celery. Set water and celery aside for the moment.
- SautÃ© the minced onion in margarine ’til tender but not brown, and set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs and seasonings together in a large bowl.
- Add celery and onions and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Add the liquid a little at a time until the mixture becomes moistened but not soaking wet. You will probably need between 1 and 2 cups of liquid.
- Place in large rectangular baking pan with sides and bake at 350 ºF for 40 minutes or until crisp and brown on top.