Gluten Free, parve. For this recipe we combined an apple crisp recipe from Elana’s Pantry and an open face pie recipe from plattertalk, and made our own modifications. Our pie didn’t come out quite right the first time, but I think the way it’s written now will be good. If you make it, please let us know if it’s good as is or if it needs any changes. We made this pie Thanksgiving 2016.
- 1 gluten-free single crust parve pie shell, store bought or home made
For the topping:
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- â…“ cup oil or parve shortening
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 4-5 apples (Granny Smith, Fuji, or a combination)
- 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- â…› tsp salt
- Prebake the pie crust:
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Prick crust all over the bottom with a fork. Line with parchment paper, then fill with pie weights or dried beans to help keep the crust flat. Bake until pastry begins to color around the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the topping:
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a smaller bowl, combine oil, honey and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, then mix lightly with fingers until crumbly and well mixed.
- Set aside.
- Prepare the filling:
- Squeeze the lemon and keep it handy.
- Peel, core and slice apples into a large bowl. As soon as you have finished one apple, add the lemon juice and toss well. Toss again after each apple has been added.
- In small bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.
- Sprinkle over apples and toss to mix well.
- Assemble the pie and bake:
- Remove parchment paper and weights from pie crust.
- Pour apple mixture in and try to spread it evenly in the crust.
- Crumble the topping over the apples.
- Cover with foil or parchment paper and bake at 350 ° for 50 minutes on low rack.
- When apples are soft and their juices bubble, remove cover and bake 10 more minutes to brown the topping.
- Serve warm.