Parve, Gluten Free
Finally, a perfect, parve, gluten free pecan pie. Our new favorite.
Thanks to couldntbeparve.com and elanaspantry.com for initial recipes and inspiration.
- 2 Cups gluten free almond flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 large egg yolk , beaten with 1/8 teaspoon water
- 6 Tbsp parve margarine, cut into 1-inch pieces (we like Earth Balance Baking Sticks)
- 1 Cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Cups whole pecans (8 ounces), chopped into small, medium and large pieces
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Mix the pie crust ingredients as described in Elana’s Pantry, form into a ball and slice dough in half.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of the pie pan and the other half into the sides to make one full, beautiful, unbroken thin pie crust.
- Bake the crust for 14 minutes at 350 ºF.
- Remove from oven, brush sides and bottom with egg yolk, and return to oven until yolk glazes over, about 1 minute longer.
- Remove pie crust from oven and set aside while preparing the filling.
- Lower oven temperature to 275 ºF. Place pie shell in oven if not still warm.
- Heat an inch of water in a large skillet to just below a simmer.
- Place a large bowl in the water and melt the margarine in the bowl.
- Remove bowl from skillet; mix in sugar and salt with wooden spoon until margarine is absorbed.
- Beat in eggs, then corn syrup and vanilla.
- Return bowl to hot water; stir until mixture is shiny and warm to the touch, about 130 ºF. Best to use a thermometer if you have one.
- Remove from heat and stir in pecans.
- Pour mixture into warm shell; bake at 275 ºF 50 to 60 minutes – center should feel set yet soft when gently pressed.
- Transfer pie to rack; let cool completely, at least 4 hours.