This is a very tasty Mexican Chicken Stew. Adapted from chilipeppermadness.com
- 2 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons adobo seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Sazon Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 small bell pepper chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 Sorano pepper chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup Sofrito (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup olives (preferably green, black also work)
- 1-3 Medium potatoes
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1-2 cups chicken broth
- Season the chicken with adobo and sazon seasoning. Be sure to get all sides.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic and Sofito. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add olives, potatoes, bay leaves, tomato sauce, and enough chicken broth to cover everything.
- Bring to a boil, the reduce the heat to simmer (low) and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, checking each chicken piece frequently. Remove each piece when it insta-reads 165 degrees. Cut each cooked piece into bit size pieces and set aside until all the chicken is cooked.
- Once all the chicken is cooked and cut up, re-add it to the stew and finish cooking for the 30 minutes in step 5 on lowest setting possible.
- I couldn’t find Sazon seasoning, so I used 3 TBLS of store bought adobo, it was too salty. Next time make sazon seasoning and reduce the adobo.
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 cubanelle peppers seeded and chopped (i substituted 1 jalepeno)
- 4-5 Aji Dulce peppers seeded and chopped (I substituted 1 serano pepper)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves about 1 cup
- 2 Culantro leaves chopped (replace with extra cilantro if you can’t find it)
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- salt to taste (about a tsp)
- Add all ingredients to the food processor. Process until either chunky or smooth.
- Store in fridge or freeze and use as needed
Sazon Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground anatto seeds (achiote) or turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix well, store in an airtight container.
Less salty adobo seasoning recipe
- Garlic Powder. 3 tablespoons
- Onion Powder. 1 tablespoon
- Dried Oregano. 1 teaspoon
- Salt. 1 teaspoon
- Ground White Pepper. 1/2 teaspoon (or use ground black pepper)
- Paprika. 1 teaspoon