Eve brought home a bag of dandelion greens from the farmers market and we experimented. This recipe from epicurious is bitter, spicy, and perfect. I look forward to making this again.
yield: Makes 4 side-dish servings
In Rome, this is a typical way of preparing bitter greens.
Active time: 30 min (does not include washing the greens)
Start to finish: 30 min
- 2 lb dandelion greens, tough stems removed and leaves cut crosswise into 4-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cook greens in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until ribs are tender, 4 to 5 minutes, then drain in a colander.
- Rinse under cold water to stop cooking and drain well, gently pressing out excess water.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet or wok over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook garlic, stirring, until pale golden, about 30 seconds.
- Increase heat to moderately high, then add greens, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- SautÃ©, stirring, until liquid greens give off is evaporated, about 4 minutes.