I asked Mikey for a good way to cook quinoa and he suggested frying it with onions before adding water, and adding cashews. Then I found a recipe online and combined all these ideas to come with a dish Eve and I have been enjoying.
- 1 Tbsp sunflower or other oil
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, red or white or mixed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Â½Â tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Â¾Â cups water
- Â½ cup rawÂ cashew pieces
- optional:Â Â½ to 1 lb. tofu, cubed and pressed (also another Tbsp oil and more spices)
- Chop the pepper and put it in a pan with the oil over medium heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the quinoa and spices and stir well, then cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, bring to a boil, turn down to very low and put the lid on the pan, then leave to simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water’s been absorbed.
- Stir in the cashews.
- (Optional) Stir fry tofu with a Tbsp oil and some good spices in a separate pan on medium for 10 minutes. Stir into quinoa mixture at the end.
Serves 2 as a dinner main dish.