- 1 Cup shortening (butter or margarine both work well)
- 1Â½Â Cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2Â¾Â Cups flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400Â°F.
- Mix shortening, 1Â½ CÂ sugar, and eggs thoroughly.
- Measure flour by dipping method, or by sifting. (I never sift it)
- Blend flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt, then stir into liquid mixture.
- Shape dough in 1″ balls (or bigger…).
- Roll in mixture of 2 Tbsp sugar and the 2 tsp cinnamon.
- Place 2″ apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
These cookies puff up at first, then flatten out.
Makes 6 dozen cookies.
The cookies stay nice and soft in an airtight container.
Have lots of cold milk around.
(Thanks to Eve for the picture!)