Contains Gluten (for Gluten Free notes see end of recipe)
This is the recipe Bill grew up with. I think it’s the standard toll house recipe. Both the bars and cookies are delicious.
Makes 1-2 dozen cookies, or square pan of bars (16 bars)
- 1 stick (½ c) butter, softened
- 3/8 c (6 Tbsp) white sugar
- 3/8 c (6 Tbsp) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 c + 2 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c (6 oz) chocolate chips
- ½ c chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, beat butter with both sugars until blended.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, soda and salt with a fork or whisk to make sure soda and salt are well distributed.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir with wooden spoon until flour is all mixed in. Dough will be very stiff.
- Stir in chocolate chips, and nuts if desired.
- For cookies: Make cookies of desired size on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Better to undercook than overcook. Let cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet, then move gently to rack.
- For bars: Arrange dough evenly in greased pan and bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes. Better to undercook than overcook. Let cool in pan for an hour or more until quite solid, then cut into ~2″ squares.
4/13/19 Bill made this gluten free with parve margarine, Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Flour mix, and no nuts. Cookies were good but a little cakey. Next time try 1 c flour mix and some extra chocolate chips. (Note that he did not add Xanthan gum and the cookies came out fine.)